Header

Header

Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Writerly Chopping Block (AKA: Editing)

For those of you who follow me on Twitter, you probably already know that I am doing some serious edits on Heirs of War right now. I have been lucky enough to get some great advice from a published author who has taken a bit of interest in the book. One of my biggest issues: POV switches. What does that mean? Well, I like to switch between different characters' perspectives.

In the same scene.

I was calling it third person omniscient, but you might have also heard it referred to as the head-bounce. This term is probably a bit more accurate. Omniscient is a breeze to write in for me. I, obviously, know what is going on in each of my characters' heads, whether major or minor characters. That's the beauty of being the god of this little fictional world I've created (and getting to smite people, but that's for a later blog).

As it turns out, writing in third person limited is much less confusing for the readers. Let that be Lesson Number One for you. Hopefully before you start writing your book because I will say that trying to fix that is a bitch and a half.

Another piece of advice I was given--and have been given frequently--was to cut back on how many characters' perspectives I write from. With five girls in the prophecy, I write from all five of their perspectives. And some other characters as well because they have important roles or because the scene just makes more sense when viewed from their eyes.

And this is where I am having the problem...I tried cutting two of the girls out tonight. Not even looking at the other scenes written from other characters' perspectives. Just focusing on the five main characters and how I can narrow that down for this book. And I can't.

You might be saying "Can't? Or Won't?" Well, to be honest, it's a little of both. Theoretically I could cut Terrena and Isauria's stories completely from this book and the book as a whole would make sense. But this is the trouble with writing a series. What I cut from this book messes up the next one. I know people say that you can fix that, but I honestly have no idea how. I would have to do flashbacks for Terrena. And for Isauria, there would just be no connection to her character whatsoever and she plays a much bigger role in book 2. So essentially I would be waiting to introduce one of my main characters until the second book.

Which leads me to this question: How much do you compromise your story when trying to make it marketable? I've said this before and I will say it again loudly: My goal is not to become a famous or successful published author. My goal has been and will always be to share the story of these five girls that have grown so close to my heart with other people. Why publish at all? Because I do have some business sense and this is actual work that I am doing.

That being said, I really don't want to be one of those authors that refuses to compromise anything because they think they already have the best thing since sliced bread. I like to think of myself as pretty open-minded and willing to accept criticisms. But what do I do if I feel like cutting those POVs entirely makes my book less-than? Do I compromise? Because I know the advice makes complete and absolute sense. One of the biggest complaints my beta-readers all had was that there were too many characters and it was hard to keep up with them all. Will ceasing the head-bouncing help this a little? Probably. Would limiting the story to only Zelene, Ariana, and Rhaya's perspectives help even more? Hell yes.

But would it be the same story? That, my friends, I am not so sure about.

I suppose that answer is for another day, though. Until then, I am going to keep the girls in and use a header for each POV change to see if that helps clear confusion. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. You know, I've never had any issues with you following all five girls POVs. But that might be because I'm used to reading things like Game of Thrones and Wheel of Time, where they follow even more characters than that.

    That being said, I think making the POV 3rd person limited will be totally helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I am going to keep them in for now and see what the my fairy-writer-mother has to say. I'm also adding headers to each section to reflect which character is the focus. So hopefully that coupled with 3rd person limited will make it a smoother read.

      Delete
  2. I have not read your story, but combining 3d person limited and section headers sounds like a very reasonable thing to do without going to the length of cutting characters out. How is it going so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, so good. I am still down to 123k from the original 149k when I first started querying it. I have eight more chapters to go until the POV issues are fixed. My only frustration with 3rd person limited is trying to figure out that line between what can be observed by the character (without necessarily saying they are observing it) and what is getting into their head too much.

      Delete
  3. I understand your frustrations. Keep in mind you want to make sure your work is tailored to the reader's experience. That's what determines a story's success. No, you can't please everyone, but I know that having even one person love my work has made it worthwhile (to me). If you can consolidate ideas and alleviate head-hopping, you're off to a good start.

    Personally? I'd worry over adding headers for each POV switch because it kicks the reader out of the story and ruins suspension of disbelief that's required for the story to hold together.

    Please remember these are only the opinions of one person who hasn't read your work. :) I'm by no means an expert -- just wanted to share my experience working with editors, my agent and my amazing crit partners.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's honestly what keeps me going: my beta-readers. I'm still iffy over the headers, but I am going to test it out on some new beta-readers and see how it does. That took some getting used to for me when I was reading Game of Thrones, but after I got accustomed to the switch it wasn't so bad.

      Delete
  4. From what I've heard from readers on this issue, I think I can say that the headers will definitely help.

    It is so tricky to figure out what suggestions to take fully, which ones to compromise on, and which ones you just can't follow. It all comes down to figuring out what IS the story you're trying to tell and discerning the best way to tell it. Easier said than done, of course...

    ReplyDelete